TSiBA is recruiting for a Dean
26 Jun 2012
The purpose of the Dean role is to ensure that TSiBA produces graduates of a high standard and acceptable quantity that meet industry demand and international benchmarks.
Experience and Qualifications required:
• PhD preferred, with a Masters degree as a minimum requirement
• Business experience at a management level (minimum)
• Academic curriculum development and lecturing experience
• Ten years of experience working in a tertiary education environment
• A respected academic in good standing
• Knowledgeable on governmental and national policy
Key Performance Areas
The core function of the Dean is to be the academic executive and strategic head of the institution.
Committee Responsibilities (10%)
The role of Dean is an ex officio director position which requires you to adopt the following responsibilities for as long as you hold this role. They are:
• Member of the Board of Directors of TSiBA Education NPC. The position holds and carries the responsibility of holding the institution’s academic offering( including highlighting risks and achievements) in its totality.
• Member of the Executive Committee of TSiBA Education NPC. As a member of TSiBA’s “Exco”, you are responsible for the overall well-being of the organisation and its alignment to its vision.
• The Dean is required to build and maintain TSiBA’s Academic Advisory Council (TSiBA’s subcommittee on Academic Affairs) as a body that guides TSiBA’s academic integrity in its entirety.
Programme Strategy (40%)
• Building and Managing the Academic Advisory Council as a strategic resource
• Developing and Maintaining TSiBA’s offering of excellence across the 3 academic pillars of Academic, QA and Support ensuring staff and student well being
• Developing and implementing a Teaching and Learning Strategy to achieve excellence in the delivery of the Curriculum in line with TSiBA’s mission statement and core value of Paying it Forward.
• Maintaining full Accreditation status with relevant government education bodies (HET, CHE, SAQA, FET, UMALUSI and SETA)
• Develop and Implement a Student Selection Policy
• Setting programme strategy wrt TSiBA’s offering, the sites where programmes are offered, the number of qualifications and their level together with the Academic Advisory Council
• Investigate the feasibility of new programmes and commissioning the development thereof
• Reviewing, moderating and benchmarking of programmes
• Driving TSiBA’s position within the National Policy Framework
• Building relationships including:
o governmental and related relationships including viz-a-viz national policy, regulations and funding. This in order to build visibility and credibility
o Developing TSiBA’s reputation as a highly regarded academic institution
o Relationships with other universities in order to ensure that TSiBA students can pursue post-graduate studies at a wide variety of institutions
o Partnerships with other Higher Education institutions, locally and internationally
o Liaising with corporate partners regarding human resource requirements
Standard Setting (20%)
• Setting standards, policies and procedures for Academics and Students and ensuring that these are implemented uniformly across all of TSiBA’s campuses
• Setting the policy for amongst others, the Selection of all applicants to TSiBA’s campuses and overseeing the implementation thereof
• Overseeing the Academic Team including all Academic Managers at all TSiBA campuses (dotted line reporting)
• Managing the Academic Team in at the Cape Town campus (solid line reports) and responsibility for their development and well being.
• Overseeing Curriculum design, integration & delivery
• Overseeing Quality Assurance
• Overseeing Student Support
• Overseeing TSiBA’s Ignition Centres
• Planning for succession
• Participation in TSiBA’s generic activities (e.g. student and applicant interviews) and events
• Monitoring & Evaluation (described below)